To all family members and others searching for records:

We often get asked specific questions that would require the we have a soldier’s service record to answer you.  We almost never have that record.  But there is a way to obtain it and you hold the key to that information.   Keep in mind that for those who do take that initial step, that is often how we have built what information we have on this website.  But next of kin hold the key to finding that information.  If you are, you can help yourself and help us expand what we have available on this website.

In order to take the first step to find out what happened to your relative, you need to make an official request for his service record.  Here is a link to the form, called a Standard Form 180:

The veteran, or “next of kin” is only one entitled to a copy of the service record upon official request.  No one else, and this includes, the National Association of the 6th Infantry, Inc. is entitled to a copy of that record from the government.  Nevertheless, we often get requests for this very information from our members or interested parties looking for information about a relative.  We do not have it unless next of kin already provided it to us.  So, if you are looking for how our website can help you, get the service record and this site can do wonders to help you find much more information about your relative who served with the 6th Infantry Division.  

Remember, a Division is over 15,000 men.  A regiment over 5,000.  Without the service record, you might be looking for a needle in a haystack.  With the record, you will have the means to discover much more. That is they key.  Get the service record first.  Then embark on your own research including searching our website and contacting one of our volunteers.


Thomas Price